Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mongolia...a new chapter

A few months ago LJ decided to apply for an internship in Mongolia and I, being quiet innocent, encouraged him! He found an internship with an international bank in the capital of Mongolia - Ulaanbaatar. All the arrangements seemed to fall into place. The church asked me if I could help out in the mission home (which I was extatic about) and we were able to find rather inexpensive flights. We had a hard time getting LJ's visa - in fact it didn't arrive until 6 hours before our flight left but we made it here!
We landed in Ulaanbaatar on September 1st. It was a pretty big culture shock. The way these people drive is insane! No lanes, no blinkers, no speed limits, no lights - NO NOTHING!!! I think I almost died 23 times after leaving the airport. It's amazing that they don't hit eachother! We wanted to shower and turned the water on - no hot water! I had to heat water on the stove to wash my hair. We went grocery shopping and didn't get any groceries...apparently LJ never bought food when he was here - that would explain why he was so skinny! I am loving the mission home! I have only been here for a few hours and I haven't done much of anything but the people are so wonderful and the Spirit is very strong.
LJ is going to enjoy his job. He will be working on a project for the bank and will be working very closely with a member of the church named A.K. I can tell that he likes being back. His mission was such an important time of his life. He learned so much and became the man he is today in this city. We have already seen a lot of people he knows and all the missionaries know him as a "legend." Everyone always says "You're NIELSEN?!?!?!?!" My husband is famous!
I am trying to learn some Mongolian words and phrases. It's a lot easier than learning in American because I'm submursed in the language here. I like it! I have already learned a lot and I'm sure being around the elders will help me learn more. The mission president, President Mecham, made the goal to learn the language - that is a lofty goal!
I'm sure I will have great stories to come. As for now I am still in shock! I have eaten new foods, almost died 50 times, and showered with freezing cold water but things will get more exciting!

0 comments:

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones